Saturday, November 10, 2012

The chair

My skill at procrastination is undeniable. More than two years ago, I bought a chair from a great antique shop in Nanton. However, the chair required some TLC. The chair sat with a blanket over it for quite a while. In September, I moved it downstairs to the studio to start the re-upholster project. But as you know, it is now November and I finally started the project.

Here is the step-by-step disassembling of the chair.

The Chair...faded and stained fabric...it must go


the first panel is removed

you can totally see the fading of the color.
The original was a deep emerald green

The first indication that the chair was stuffed with straw. Yes, I said straw!


The straw!
The nearly completed disassembly
My next steps for the reuphostering (which I hope to complete in the next decade) will be re-finishing the wood and make the frame a bit more stable. Then I will attempt to reupholster the chair. I have never done this before. It could get interesting.

I picked up a couple metres of dark brown material from IKEA recently. I hope it will work with the chair. I kept the fabric I pulled off the chair to use as a pattern. Let's cross our fingers and see if I can make some furniture magic happen. Stay tuned!


1 comment: