Sunday, April 17, 2011

Father knows best...around the magic house

My dad was here last week and worked on some projects! Thank goodness for dads! There is no way I could re-pay him. He showed me how he did the fixes as well so if I have to do them in the future at least I have some idea on how to tackle them.

So thanks to my dad, here is a rundown of all the small and big things on his fix-it list for the magic house:
1) Ducts: He fixed the detached duct which was wedged way into the support beams. He lifted a couple ducts off of pipes and wires for safety purposes as well. And he spraypainted over some possible asbestos on the ceiling....he is my hero!

Oooh, look! The duct is no longer resting on the wires or the plumbing
Asbestos - now covered and no longer DANGER

2) Doors: He fixed my porch door by screwing the door post in so it wouldn't bow so much and then he planed the side of the door as shown below. He also fixed the door knob so it could turn and latch.

Now, just a little paint and all will be good.
He worked on the bathroom door so it would hang straight and latch. This is always good for a bathroom door as before just a light push would open the door. The screws on the hinges were just hanging there so with some fix-it ingenuity, he re-filled the wood and re-screwed the hinges.

Friends, you can now use my bathroom without fear
And he planed a bit off my front door so it would shut better as well. Things in a 99 year old house shift a bit over the years.

3) Drywall: He put up drywall on the basement wall at the bottom of the stairs. It really just finishes it off.  He was able to put a couple coats of mud up but I need to finish it. He even took out a couple of inches of insulation as the past owners had crammed too much between the 2x4s on the wall.

He also taped and mudded the nook under the back room that I use for tools.

4) Garden: He trimmed my apple tree. I need to do a bit more but I learned how to do it. And on top of everything, he took me to Home Depot and pointed out some gardening tools that would be helpful.

On April 30, I will tackle the garden. I have planted a few more herbs. i should get some tomatoes and other vegetables to get them started too. Oh spring, please come soon. The snow this weekend has once again deflated all hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment